Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Live stands/cases etc #2388681
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    OK this is a “Trade Secret” now that nobody knows 🙂

    I have a normal Crane laptop stand and I use the ProDJUser stand on mobile gigs. Now I added to the crane velcro pads and to the bottom of my laptop, so my laptop will velcro in place on the stand (hence it will not move from the stand).
    After setup the Crane stand gets fixed to the ProDJUser stand with the trade secret of DJs -> duct tape.

    Thats it, works like a charm.

    in reply to: Yet another which controller #2388631
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Howdy,

    well that is really hard to tell. I know where you come from being in the business 20+ years I made all transitions hehe.

    I also started on Traktor and then transitioned away to Serato (which is very similar to Rekordbox DJ).
    Now both will have its limits. So there really is no “right” choice, there is only the choice for your workflow.
    I for one dig the Serato way with Flip, Slicers etc. more than Stems. I most of the time only need an acapella track and instrumental track to achieve what I want and I do not necessarily need the more tracks stems offer, but I just love the way the slicer and flip work.

    Now that is my personal workflow, I have seen really nice mixes of our very own Steve with an S8 and stems, that I really liked, but are not my cup of tee doing so myself.

    So in the end you will need to know yourself what workflow and features you like best, hence choose the software and then buy the best controller for that workflow.

    in reply to: Old DJ needs to learn new tricks #2388611
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Hey and welcome!
    I Think Vintage said it all 🙂

    in reply to: Djay Pro VS. Serato #2388411
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well I have to say while Djay Pro is coming along nicely, it is still some way off the big names (Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox DJ and Cross).
    So if you are interested in Serato and take a next step, I would advise to get it now as long as this discount lasts.

    in reply to: Denon MCX8000 opinion/release #2388401
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    1) Yes I am buying as soon as I can line up the cash.

    2) I had only 20min to play around with it and honestly it is awesome.

    3) Engine… well Rekordbox crashes all the time, sorry to say that you or not better off with Pioneer here. I remember the time when you had to add songs in patches of no more than 8 or Rekordbox would crash… of course things are better today.
    And since I only prepare songs in Engine, put them on a stick and thats it… do not care. Also the reports I am getting are it only crashes on Windows 10, so since I use Macs… no bother and I guess most DJs use Win7 or 8 still (the few that use Windows). Also the same thing happened at the release of the SC2900 (I think those were the players) and Denon had a fix within a month.

    Effects? I have tons of iZotope effects using Serato.
    I think it is a nice gimmick that the unit can work alone, however I think the full potential of the unit is only achieved if you are using it with Serato.

    And as for what Vintage said: Yes fun times, especially when a Nexus player suddenly “reboots” you need to react quickly and hopefully have a few cue points to prolong that song playing as these bloody units can take up to 5min to come back from the firmware screen… thankfully it is nearly as rare as Macs crashing.

    in reply to: Recording from controller and synth #2388371
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Yes he is a rare Vintage 🙂 good suggestions all around.

    in reply to: Hello! I'm Kieran #2388331
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Hey and welcome! Enjoy and ask a lot of questions 🙂

    in reply to: Club Unnecessarily Loud #2387001
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    It is totally nuts… and I love my etymotics earplugs for it 😉 I think because I use them for over 10 years now, I am one of the few DJs that still has excellent hearing hehe

    in reply to: Is being a dj in ibza really all its crack out to be? #2386591
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Please post mixes only in the mixes section, edited your post…

    Now for the questions:
    First one: What is it like?
    Hugely depends on how big a name you are before going there. I know DJs there that get payed 20 bucks an hour and have to care for themselves. If you are a top star you can get huge salaries and everything will be done for you and there is loads of middle ground, so hard to say.
    Phil and I we have both jobbed there and what I can only say from my experience: If you want to get forward there the job is a huge load of work. You work at least 60 hours a week, where you get payed for 20 (as this is the time you actually play at a club) and the rest you need to promote yourself. Even for the higher end names it is seldom very different, as there is always new big ones incoming that want a slice of pie.
    For me after the first “high” you get when you play there it was then way too much stress and you realise getting a top name is pure luck, not matter how much effort you put in… hence moved on and filed this under the “been there, done that, got the t-shirt” section.
    Now as a rule I never talk about my salaries but as I said for low to middle tier workers it can go from 20 bucks an hour to 1000 bucks an hour. More is for the big names.
    All the extras like accomodation etc. is only for the very big names, I always had to check all that for myself.

    Second question: Highest salaries?
    Well there have been rumored salaries for festival size gigs of:
    Getta: 300k
    Tiesto: 400k
    van Buuren: 400k
    Oakenfield: 90k
    Aoki: 200k

    So the top salaries look to be around 300-400k per gig, as far as the rumor mill goes and that is always excluding payed expenses like top hotels, first class travel etc.

    in reply to: Recording from controller and synth #2386571
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    The most simple way would be to add a very small PA mixer with USB capabilities where you connect both devices to that mixer before going to your monitors. Then you connect the mixer back to a laptop with its USB and use a recording software (for example GarageBand, Audacity,…) to record the mix from the USB soundcard of that mixer.

    in reply to: Need some advice for TV #2386281
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Yeah you are an ice cube as it is 😉

    in reply to: First gig with your help #2386271
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Awesome! Way to go! Congratulations on a job well done 🙂

    in reply to: The Oldie returns ! #2385911
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Welcome buddy! Good to get more seasoned veterans back in the game 🙂

    in reply to: Can Rekordbox run on a laptop with 2Gb of Ram? #2385901
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    In my test: It will run for a time and then hang itself with 100% CPU.

    in reply to: Creativity potential SeratoDJ vs RekordboxDJ #2385891
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Glad it worked out for you! Have fun buddy!

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 5,632 total)