Terry_42
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Terry_42
KeymasterSame here. I play some tunes I love for “soundcheck” and I am in the mood.
I also drink only water and coffee during gigs and the first sip of alcohol only when I am done for the night. Most of the time this will be a single drink before I leave with the manager, crew or some guests I know.
Terry_42
KeymasterJust found this remix it is 2 years old, but new to me hehe
Terry_42
KeymasterSorry I have never tried copying that music on any other device, but according to the specs it should play in 64. But listening to a good tune in 64 even while running would make me want to vomit more than run…
Also just used pulselocker for the free trial. It is OKish, but I really do not need it. For music exploration (aka what will I buy) I am currently using Amazon Prime Music. I actually bought the prime subscription for the video and fast amazon shipping option, but the music player and suggestions are actually quite good and you can directly buy the tunes you want to own and DJ…
Terry_42
KeymasterHey and welcome!
Great city, great clubs. Keep the mixes comin’
Terry_42
Keymaster1. Yes – sometimes. It is mostly independent stuff and backcatalogue, so there are no current Top40 (for the most part). However it is nice to discover some “secret pearls”. I also use it to bolster some sets or to get some nice “in betweeners”. The good thing is, that there are some nice remixes that are not publicly available anywhere else and that most of the time acapella and instrumental versions are available too. However I would never use it as my only source for music.
2. They will automatically go down to 64. However what I do is I download a bunch of tunes that sound interesting on the site, put them in a playlist with my controller running on my DJ office desk and just hit auoplay in Serato. So it will play them full quality automatically while I am on the office couch listening and browsing on my iPad. If a tune hits my I make a note.
It honestly is a great and underrated feature, but as I said it is not the end.
However it can save you a load of money. I usually buy tunes for 8-15 bucks per months via iTunes or beatport to stay current and hit some remixes etc. via whitelabel. This is way cheaper than any of the payed DJ pools.Terry_42
KeymasterHmm I swear I read about that on the Ableton forums. I would head over there and do a search on their forum as I cannot recall the solution. Has been too long since I DJed with Ableton.
Terry_42
KeymasterCheap mini PA mixer connected to sound system and you are good.
Check this out:
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2013/04/beginners-guide-to-pa-systems-part-1-basics/Terry_42
KeymasterDear Bahstid: Did you actually try your methods or is this guess work?
I can only say that from my long DVS (and analogue Vinyl), together I guess 10+ years at least, experience this is total bogus, I am sorry.
First of all turntable maintenance for a DJ laptop is much like a well tuned car. You have to service it A LOT or it will die. That does not only include needles (and yes needles die or kill your vinyl if not replaced regulary, no matter you skillevel) but also the turntable itself. Now yes some parts can be tuned (for example with special treatments, some swear by dry gun lube etc.) or with special grease and coatings, but that all costs money and it will just up your service intervalls by a little.
Slipmats will die, period.
DVS vinyl is just as hurt by scratching and slapping like other vinyl and that it either “works or is dead” is sadly not true. The software will miss “blibs” and you will decrease sound quality as the software will have glitches. True it will not sound analogue, more like bad encoded mp3 with artifacts, but sill it will sound bad.
The worst part: Training with equipment that sounds bad or is overdue for overhaul will not be good for your training, as you will have to worry about: Was is bad technique or was it my equipment that made me sound bad?So yes you can “tune” your equipment for your training method and prolly pull off 40-50 bucks per month for maintenance or even 30 if you do not practice that much, but it will be minimal in effect and will decrease your learning experience.
I however do agree with your last advise, always keep your “play” needles separate from the scratch needles and vinyl.
The bottom line is: Vinyl and turntables have an upkeep cost. Now if you play out and this is your bread and butter that is money you invest and get back, but even for me I rather have that 50 bucks more in my pocket and scratch on my controller. Thanks to Steve’s tutoring I can scratch on my controller just as good and I will never be as good as a Grandmaster anyways (I am way too lazy, like 99% of DJs hehe).
Terry_42
KeymasterHonestly any effect will work with the right technique. There is no “appropriate” effect to use. It all depends on what transition you are trying to pull of and what transition technique you are using.
Terry_42
KeymasterHey and welcome 🙂
Terry_42
KeymasterWassssuuuuuuuuuup!
Terry_42
KeymasterNow there are some solutions out there, but none that work directly with Traktor.
Some require their own music player (which I hate with a fiery passion), so they are unusable usually.
Now the ProDMX and Freestyler DMX software solutions have sound2light plug-ins that you can theoretically mount to midi signals. However I never got this to work. The only way I got this to work was if I attach those software solutions with a compatible USB2DMX controller with a Mic input and then feed the Mic signal to the software for adapting.
Also there the “detection” algorithm is a little bit of hit and miss and honestly some sound2light modes from cheap fixtures work better 😛 And of course you need a laptop, the software and a DMX controller that is compatible. So way more cost intensive than what you want to do.Terry_42
KeymasterHonestly there are some samplers on iTunes from that era that have like 3-4 CDs worth of music and cost like 5-10 bucks. I think I purchased 2 or 3 of them and it got me covered with all the major tunes from that era.
Terry_42
KeymasterYou are welcome buddy, glad we could help.
Terry_42
Keymaster1. Do I absolutely require to have a DJ controller attached to the computer when using Serato DJ
Honestly, Yes. While what Vintage says is true, you should have one as not all functions can be triggered by software alone.
2. Can I use JUST Serato DJ software on the computer (like I can with Traktor) to work?
Sort of, but I would not recommend it, as it is pretty useless in that form. It is made for use with Controllers and that is where it shines.
3. I bought Serato DJ software (50% off). How often can I install it and on how many computers? (Some people say I have 2 installations: 1. on your productive computer and 2. on a 2nd – backup- computer)
Yes, correct 2 installations. However if one of your devices is being retired, you can transfer the license to a new device. So no worries, it is not bound forever (like some Microsoft licenses).
4. If it is only possible to register the Serato DJ software with a Serato compliant HARDWARE (i.e. a DJ Controller), then why is the Serato DJ software available as standalone?
There are 2 sorts of Serato controllers:
First are Serato – Ready. They usually come with Serato Intro in the box. So the controller is usually on the cheaper side and the company did not pay for the full Serato license. So if you want to use the full Serato DJ system you need to buy a license.Second are “Serato Included”. Those are usually more higher end controllers, where the controller company already has purchased the Serato license for you. With those you only have to download Serato and Serato will work as soon as you connect the device.
5. I do not own (currently) a Serato compliant DJ controller. But if I buy later a controller which includes Serato DJ or Serato DJ Intro, can I use my already existing Serato DJ purchase to work with that controller?
Yes it wont matter however.
6. Once registered Serato DJ with “a” Controller, say Pioneer, can I later switch to another, say Numark, Controller or is the registration with Pioneer using up my registrations, so it then requires an additional license of Serato DJ to purchase when I want to use another DJ Controller?
You can switch controllers whenever you like. There is an “deactivate with this device” button in Serato. You do that, then connect the new device and activate again. There is no limit on how many times you can do that.
-
AuthorPosts