Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Beat Jumping on the Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2 #2385881
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Wow Chicago seems to be really behind in the rest of the US then.
    I was in the US a few weeks ago and gigged in high profile clubs in Phoenix, San Diego and LA.
    All had zero problems with controllers and house techs all very helpful.
    In all but one of those clubs they even seemed to expect that I bring something and the DJs playing sets before me also had controllers. The evening opener in SD was actually a relatively new guy which got his first chance to play in the big house and “only” used an S5 was doing awesome things with it.

    in reply to: Bag help pls #2385861
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    The UDG is pretty much bomb proof. I have not tried the others.

    in reply to: Need some advice for TV #2385831
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Know where the cameras are.
    Look which camera is active “red”
    Never Look directly into the camera, look at the gaffer (the man beside the camera man holding the cables)
    Position yourself that the camera does not get you “fully frontal” but slightly angled (makes you look cooler)

    in reply to: Creativity potential SeratoDJ vs RekordboxDJ #2383921
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    That is easy to explain:
    Rekordbox DJ (which is used for the DDJ-RX etc.) is a totally different thing. It has copied much of Serato and in many cases is so similar that some people and internet rumor mills even suspect it is developed by Serato. The look and feel is very very similar. However to differentiate a little Serato has (at this time) more plugins and flip, where Rekordbox DJ has the sample thing and bigger buttons in the software.
    However Rekordbox DJ has not much to do with traditional Rekordbox which is used with the XDJ and hence the XDJ line has totally different functions.

    As far as reloop goes, as I said the jogwheels are my main thing I like most. Apart the controllers are solid and the people from reloop are really nice. I meet them from time to time on some events and they always have been very generous and forthcoming with infos etc.

    in reply to: Beat Jumping on the Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2 #2383911
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Thanks for clarifying Vintage.
    Also it was not meant as an insult to CDJs (my comment that is) it is simple fact.
    Vintage and I we have limited access to equipment. Some companies are generous and lend us stuff to try out, some even donate a piece of equipment here or there (especially software) so we can give advise.

    Pioneer is not that forthcoming and I think the SX of Vintage is bought with his hard earned money and the only time I get on Pioneer gear is in clubs if I have time to fool around or in the store of a friend. Now since my friend saw sales of CDJs go down significantly (as he also sells to clubs) and he had to let go of his last Nexus setup with a loss, he does not stock them anymore (where as SX2s fly of the shelf and even the SZ does OK). So I get no playtime on NXS2 gear to date and as it is not my personal preference, I actually do not really care and will not go through serious length to get to test it (which I do for some controllers I am interested in). Also none of the local clubs I asked said they would upgrade, some are even considering selling their existing NXS gear now as long as there is still a used market looking for them.

    Now that does not mean anyone wanting to use CDJs is an idiot (if you get that vibe from me). I totally understand that some want to stick to what they learned, some do not care and some value it for sentimental reasons as they have been there for a long time. Hell I still have a single Technics deck, because I could not part with it 🙂 And about a few times a year I really enjoy going to my buddies home where he has 2 old Technics and an ages old Denon mixer and we play with our old vinyls.

    The only thing I feel very very strongly about is young DJs. Several young DJs get told by “old farts” that are single minded that if you want to be “pro” you need to invest in a whole NXS or now NXS2 setup. And a few of them actually buy into that myth and spend A LOT of money on such a setup, not even being able to DJ yet. Some even risk their credit, sell their cars or whatever, since they have been told this is “pro”. I saw such kids go broke and sadly most of the time I never see them again after their first audition (as I sometimes sit in on a friends club) as their DJing sucks badly, since they need to work 3 jobs to pay and have no time to practice. On the other hand I see people show up with digital setups I never heard of or thought of (last was a mix of old S2, K2 and Maschine all mapped to Traktor) and they blow me away creatively and I actually get afraid I am moving to slow. These kids are the main reason why I voice my opinion so loudly here and as we are independent, I can.

    If an older DJ that knows what he is doing still uses CDJs and wants to stick with it and his performances are good, then by all means he should go for it. I just hope he does not get washed down to the jobbers.

    in reply to: Best laptop free dj equipment #2383871
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Honestly, get a decent laptop and not that crap.
    My last MacBook lasted from 2008 until this January (and it actually still works, I just wanted a new one). It was heavily used, it had cracks, stickers on in, dings in the aluminium case, some keyboard keys were blank, totally scratched.
    It worked in direct sunlight, in total fog and on a freezing ice bar.
    I had more DJMs fail on me than that laptop (as it never failed me).

    Also this topic has been discussed to no end and there is a search function on the top of the page 🙂

    in reply to: Creativity potential SeratoDJ vs RekordboxDJ #2383121
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Howdy,

    Nope the LoopSlice on the XDJ-RX is totally different from the Slicer and Loop Slicer in Serato.
    The XDJ can slice out part of a song (cut it out) and you can play this in 4 loops (4 pads).

    The Slicer and Loop slicer work totally different. The slicer actually puts slices (cut of 4 beats) of the current song playing through at your fingers and you can re-arrange them on the fly. The Slicer-Looper can do the same, but it will loop the part of music you are in when you start slicing it up… I know this sounds weird and it is best to see it.

    I made a small video some time ago. It is very old, so I am much better now with it, this is from the time I just started the whole slicer thing, but you get the idea what is happening… but in short terms: Yes the XDJ is much more limiting than the DDJ-SX series or the MCX8000 and that is why I would not consider it at all.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uy5UzETdlE

    in reply to: traktor 2 le maping #2383091
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    There is no mapping in Traktor LE version. It either works with the controller it is provided for or not.
    If you want full midi mapping you need to upgrade to the full version of Traktor Pro.

    in reply to: Flash Drives #2383081
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Your preference. Both work. I use a large stick and another as backup.
    However be advised that older CDJs do not accept sticks that are too large. Check out what CDJs the club has you want to use them in and then check the manual (all manuals are online at Pioneers DJ website) what size flash drives are allowed.

    in reply to: Beat Jumping on the Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2 #2383001
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Sorry we do not like to work with outdated equipment, so we have no CDJ testgear available and most clubs wont upgrade to NXS2.

    in reply to: Help with upgrading from Mixtrack #2382991
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    And do not listen to any “DJ” telling you to get outdated hardware like CDJs.
    Those are those people who are living in the past and want you to do the same, so you cannot overtake them quickly and kick their arse in public.

    in reply to: Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminium VS Sennheiser HD 25 Plus #2382981
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Honestly I never heard any difference between my 25s and the Alu… of course my 25s are not any edition as I think at least every part of them has been replaced at least once and they still rock 😛

    in reply to: Traktor S4 and 2x F1's…? #2382971
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Trust me Jason, I tried this on the S4 and it is really bad. It will mess up your whole workflow.

    in reply to: The 'hype' of the big names #2382961
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Give it your best shot.
    I have even played warm-up on big festival before some big names.
    People will still have fun, but of course they are waiting for the main act. So yes when the big name gets on stage, the crowd will go mental and they will never do that for you… it is just what it is.
    Some of the big names will be a bitch about it and some may even be gentlemen get on stage while you are still there and shake your hand etc. so next time this crowd sees you, you will get more hype just because of that. (Not saying names here who is what type hehe)
    Best thing that happened to me was international mega star DJ invited my to stay up for his into tune and raised my hand before I got off stage… never got cheered like that before in my life… so it can have its good sides if the star is not a brick.

    in reply to: DJing at a Silent Disco #2382941
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Yep as Vintage said:
    – stay in your genre
    – mix only in your cans (a controller with split cueing helps here a lot)
    – use DJ drops and/or the mic to beef things up

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 5,632 total)