Terry_42
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Terry_42
KeymasterMost DJs use near field monitors because of a few simple facts:
1. flat response speakers (they will not color the sound by themselves, but let you hear the music as it is mixed/EQed)
This is not the case with HiFi or Computer speakers, although there are some that are OKish.
The KRK entry level near fields color slightly, but for DJ use this is OK.2. They direct sound to a spot (why they are called near field). So you can set them up easily as they will shoot the sound roughly where you point them. So as long as elevation and tilt are OK they work and you can use them at kinda close range without blowing your ears off (again why they are called near field).
3. The reproduction range is good on those monitors (usually 50Hz to 20k at least) and the whole reproduction range will be as flat as they can make it. So you will actually hear it.
4. You can use them at low volume settings and still get the full range of sound. So even at bedroom volumes the whole flat response thing at the expected range should work.
5. Due to their construction they are usually very forgiving with placement. So usually even when they are near a wall or angled etc. they usually do not create extreme reflections and you put a little isolating foam under them and you should be OK. You do not need to invest hugely into sound proofing the room unless you sit in a glass house.
So that is why you do not need “DJ” monitors as cheaper near fields will do. For production there are added issues and why producers tend to buy more expensive near fields, but for DJ use even lower end KRK Rockits will do all the above.
Now PA speakers… some do use them and it might be OK for some but they have a few inherent flaws, that make them less optimal for home use:
1. Usually they need a minimum volume to reproduce the same spectrum if at all.2. They direct sound less and over a longer rangem, which is good for their intended purpose, but not optimal for home use as soundproofing your room is now suddenly a thing.
3. They are usually bigger and heavier aka harder to place.
4. They should not be placed near walls.
5. They do not work as good when not setup in their intended way.
That does not mean that you cannot make them work for home use, it is just a lot more difficult.
That is why for home use I recommend cheaper near fields like KRK (which I like best) or reloops.
June 2, 2016 at 9:31 am in reply to: DJs moving to hardware/analog gear? Interesting article #2403351Terry_42
KeymasterDo I like analogue for the experience in a home setting… sure. But that is recreational use.
Would I ever go back to analogue in a professional environment: Not a chance in hell.Terry_42
KeymasterI am sorry but this has to be said, no matter your warning 🙂
I have been DJing with my MacBooks since 2008. I NEVER had it crash on me or the DJ software. Yes I keep a backup (back then CDJ, now tablet) but I never had to use it to date because of a crash (because I was stupid yes).
This is why most pro-DJs use the Mac plattform and not Windows.
(Take note 99% it is not the fault of Windows that it crashes, but a bad Hardware or Driver, but since Apple controlls all Hwardware and Drivers, they are inherently safe from that.)Now as far as tablets go: I am sure they will get there soon. You prolly could even now pull off a gig with a tablet (especially weddings), but they are just not there yet fully.
I guess it will not be long, maybe as short as a year or two until they run the same tricks as my Mac, but now I still prefer (and most do) the full environment on my Mac.So to answer your question for tablets: No they are not there yet, but they will be soon. For now I would keep the S4 and go with a MacBook.
Terry_42
KeymasterI also have to say the gig-bar… not that fantastic.
I agree with Vintage that you need uplighting and moving things. However I think you can get away without DMX if you do small things and have a remote like many ADJ lights have.
So my minimum pick would be:
– 2 Revos (I liked the Revo 3 better)
– 2 InnoColor Beams or similar moving heads
– 4 cheap RGB LED cans
– 2 4-row LED bars
That is what you can get away with for small parties etc. I agree a Hazer would be nice addition. Some RGB cans can “somewhat strobe” so you can get away without one. If you have all ADJ lights you prolly can link them up and be OK with sound2light if you change the program via their IR remote now and then.May 30, 2016 at 8:48 am in reply to: Arrogance in the DJ Industry (Fellow DJ brought up a point) #2401691Terry_42
KeymasterYes there are a lot of arrogant DJs that let their self preservation instinct and bully tactics grow beyond what is considered good taste.
However I have to say that most of them are mid-card players and jobbers at best. Those are the cards that are hardest fought for as newbies want to get in and that is their next step, they want more, but are stalled and so want to keep at least that jobber status and then there is semi-retired asshats (like me) that also snatch away gigs just because they can 😛But what I have seen and this is 99% true: If you want to step up from that midcard your main skill is to be a professional. I never complained, I never fought, I gave up sets freely to others and even supported them etc. This kind of behaviour gets recognised by managers and promoters alike and they will tend to book you, because you are reliable, trustworthy, not a diva and not complicated. Hell I gave gigs to young DJs if booking agents asked me and got twice as much bookings from them in return.
Terry_42
KeymasterHey Marc, Glad you found us 🙂 Enjoy our forums and website and we love to hear some stories about the South African scene.
Terry_42
KeymasterHonestly I NEVER had such a problem. You have to be a total idiot to update to a new OS if your work depends on it as soon as it comes out.
El Capitan was the same, not a single problem. I waited until the Serato webpage said “supported”, waited another 2 weeks to see if early adopters are sending in any fault reports and then upgraded. Working ever since.
Also never had a problem with minor upgrades like 10.11.5. Works flawlessly (with latest Serato version).The upgrade bar of death is a common problem with some MacBooks and there is a workaround and people even got their books replaced. But you need to check the apple website with your serial if you are eligable.
In my book all DJs that have problems like that expect too much and put too little effort into maintaining their gear.
Like you did the right thing, if you do not know where to look, ask at a friendly place (like here hehe) and you will be helped. I even post most of the time when stuff is working with new OS versions.And as always: Always have a backup before upgrading.
All of these suggestions apply for Apple AND Windows computers.
Terry_42
KeymasterHonestly if you cannot afford good lights, then do not do it.
Even I do not own many lights (after 20+ years DJing), most were gifted to me. When I do a gig I assess the size of the venue calculate a price for the lighting and then rent them at my local rental company.
In the end you will always be cheaper this way.
Those small chauvet lights are extremely low output and will not work good unless you are in total darkness. Trust me I have seen them all at several exhibitions.Terry_42
KeymasterSorry did not see anything in the release notes, how are they bad?
Terry_42
KeymasterI would not do it. As Vintage said the level of upgrade is too low and I would not consider it to play 4 channel.
Terry_42
KeymasterYeah if you do it for fun more than anything else, then why not. No need to for hard negotiations if it works out for you.
Terry_42
KeymasterI actually never had this happen to me again since I use a controller.
Not that someone did not spill things, but for 100 bucks you get a DJ screen, if that wont fit for 60 bucks you get a table screen. Not that will not totally splash proof it, but the barrier is there. Then most of the time my controller sits on something to raise it up (flightcase or a self made riser if I go with backpack), so even if stuff comes under the screen it wont sit in it. The laptop is on a stand anyways.
So yes stuff got wet, but is was mostly cables and 90% of splashes were cought by the screen(s).
And this is my without investing hundreds of bucks for backup (which I have too).
And I still love my home theatre with HD beamer and THX 7.1 system plus some sonos speakers and my controller setup and laptop that I got from selling all my Nexus gear and technics decks 🙂 So again broke, but much happier.Terry_42
KeymasterNice one Grant, thank you.
Terry_42
KeymasterThe NS6 is also past its prime…
Terry_42
KeymasterI would play typical belearic ibiza warm up stuff. Like Cafe del Mar type of stuff.
-
AuthorPosts