Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: School club needing help with ideas for events #2331151
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    San Diego and Los Angeles my friend. Actually not directly LA, I will be in Pasadena and Ontario,CA.

    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I never pitch up to +8 I think it is a stupid custom some DJs invented to have something cool, but it sounds bad.
    Actually keylock also can sound very bad over +5.

    I rarely use keylock, when it comes to harmonic mixing I have very good relative pitch (hearing) so I know how much shift I have if for example I pitched +3 for that song and just adjust the next song accordingly in my cans.

    Also it is a myth that you need to beatmatch anything, sometimes I want to go from 140 to 110 for a breather and no pitch fader in the world will make you beatmatch that.

    The thing you need is not advise on when to pitch and when not, it is experience, listening skills (hear pitch and key) and getting to know what sounds good for a crowd. These are most important skills for a DJ and they develop over time while training and actively listening to music.

    in reply to: Fast Course #2331131
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Indeed he is a sharp dressed man 🙂

    in reply to: mixtrack pro 3 or pioneer ddj sb2 #2330541
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I also would prefer the Mixtrack. As Todd said the 4 deck control is a gimmick.

    in reply to: Beginner DJ, Looking for Equipment. #2330531
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Nice summing up by Vintage.

    I am not offended buddy 🙂 the TM8 has its flaws, but as you say it fits the bill and yes I could afford more. Most of the time one gig will pay more than a SX2.

    in reply to: DJ name #2330521
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Accident 😛

    in reply to: School club needing help with ideas for events #2330511
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    That is too bad I an west coast bound in February… Phoenix, SD, LA,…

    in reply to: Fast Course #2330491
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Nice, good luck!

    in reply to: School club needing help with ideas for events #2328961
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    First of all: Where are you located? Culture towards music largely depends on where you are.

    Then EDM is a term not a genre. House, Deep House, Trance, Psytrance,… that are genres.
    So EDM (electronic dance music) is about anything that is electronic music (depends heavily on electrical instruments) and you can dance to it.

    So in general you could say the soundtrack to Lord of the Dance is EDM, since it depends largely on keyboards and samples to achieve Irish folk music that is dancable and sounds more like world music.

    So give people something to think about.

    Also we have a ton of free videos on this site and on the forum sticky. Check them out for ideas what people might want to know.

    in reply to: djm 900 nexus temperature #2327211
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    All the Nexus gear will make you sweat.

    in reply to: XDJ-RX, XDJ-1000 or what? #2326951
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Great that it worked out and thanks for the feedback, we always value the feedback when people come back and tell us things worked for them.

    Keep spinnin’ and merry X-mas!

    in reply to: Gemini CDMP-7000 or Pioneer XDJ-RX? #2326941
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    deathy that is simply because most of them do not care.
    For a DJ 5000 bucks for a Nexus setup is a lot of cash, most big club PAs plus lights come in the 100k+ range so 5k more are not that important.

    in reply to: Serato DJ on MS Surface hardware #2326151
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I tried running it on my Surface Pro 4 and it works.
    The screen is really small though.

    in reply to: Controller #2326141
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    CDJs are big.
    What Titan is saying is actually bogus, as more and more international players are using controllers, however they do not cart them around, they are big enough to expect you to have their setup in place when they arrive and only plug in their laptop.

    You are totally fine when you have no Pioneer gear. I have now for some time been playing live with a reloop Terminal Mix 8 and I have played from small to very big clubs (like Octagon) from weddings to medium festivals (around 5k people per stage). The more professional a setting is (big clubs, festivals) the more it is expected from you to exactly know what you need on stage.
    Take for example Ministry of Sound in London: When you get booked you get a call from a tech guy. You will be expected to tell him what setup you bring and what you want in the booth from them (they now even offer some Pioneer controllers, but you can bring your own). Then you need to show up before opening and give your gear to the tech guys and possibly talk to the VDJ about lighting etc. You then chill out backstage until your turn. When you get on stage everything will be setup perfectly and they will tell you about 10min before what the gameplan is to change over from the previous DJ to your setup.

    Also the more professional a setting, the more likely they are to know how to accomodate handicapped people. For example there is a manual lift for wheelchairs in some locations.

    in reply to: Corporate Gigs & Sponsorships #2326081
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I play a lot on company events these days and there are 2 things you absolutely have to do:
    1. Act professional. Those are ocmpanies, they do not need the extrovert idiot guy.
    2. A lot of events include different music themes (from lounge music, dinner music, presentation music, dance music,…) you have to be diverse. Some even need “intro music” to present a new product or when someone gets on stage to deliver a speech. Be prepared for that and have them check their event storyboard with you and plan accordingly.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 5,632 total)