Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Why is it so hard to say nice things? #2359581
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Vintage if you were you would have sent me that MCX 8000 already…

    in reply to: Test #2358981
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Btw. Kung Fu Panda 3 is awesome…

    in reply to: Reloop RMP4 #2358971
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Also no matter what reloop controller with 1 exception (the Digital Jockey 3 series) it clearly says on reloops website:
    All TSI files are provided “as is”, the controllers are not made for Traktor nor do they support the TSI files they provide.
    They will help you on their forums, if it is a matter where they can, but they will not put money on the table to provide support Traktor for their controllers as NI makes it very difficult to do so.

    So honestly, I would not blame them for not supporting it.
    Buying something else than NI products to work with Traktor is always problematic, especially if you are not a 200% Traktor guy.
    Hell I started out on Traktor and did all my own mappings and after converting to Serato 2 years ago I prolly forgot how to do 50% of the things I used to be able to do…

    in reply to: Bose L1 speaker systems for DJing #2358961
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Tony,
    the L1 is a decent system and I have played with it a few times, 2 things I would consider however:
    – It is not a system that likes to be “driven” with a lot of beats etc. or it will get muddy
    – Although it has a good output in terms of loudness, it is low on the mid end

    So I would say the max. is 50-60 people honestly.

    Also when compared to the HK Lucas Nano Series, the HK will win any day of the week and for the price of the L1 you can get a Nano 600 which would be sufficient for 150-200 people indoors.

    in reply to: Why is it so hard to say nice things? #2358951
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    The first step to saying nice things is to be humble, to know your own abilities and shortcommings… then you will look at other people with more respectful eyes.
    The second step is to not get angry or jealous (aka why is he up there and not me). As anger leads to the dark side…

    in reply to: A dj in the crowd #2358941
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Vintage says it, the problem is in time you know any mistakes, mishaps etc. you will evaluate lighting, PA, sound, mixing skills etc. so just relaxing etc. is hard.

    in reply to: Mixing with acapellas #2358931
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    The key is 2 things:
    I shorten my acapella to a position where I know the beat would start at a 1 count.
    For example take Vanilla Ice: Ice ice baby
    It is roughly 120bpm and I put my first hotcue on the “Ice” of “ice ice baby”.
    So I know when my underlying 120bpm hits the 1 count I can hit the hotcue and play from there.

    The next hotcues I typically put on phrases where I again now the 1, 2, 3 or 4 count of the beat (I color code those in Serato or put them into Serato Flip save zones). So basically if my underlying beat goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and I would hit the cues in that order 1, 2, 3, 4 then the song would play “normal” or as it would in the original.

    That is my basic setup for a live mashup of course all tracks need to be perfectly beatmatched, not like when you do beatmatch transitions would not matter if it is .1 or even .5 offbeat, this has to be exact on spot.

    If that explanation did not make any sense to you, you may have to look into basic music theory, beatcounting and bar counting first.

    in reply to: ghetto funk 2 #2347471
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Please read the posting guidelines here:
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/posting-guidelines/

    in reply to: Numark Mixdeck Quad & Serato DJ #2347451
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    It is compatible:
    https://serato.com/dj/hardware/controllers

    What you need to do however:
    Register at the serato.com website and add the license number you got from the Serato Upgrade package with your user name.
    Start Serato.
    Inside the Serato program there is an expansion button (lower right hand corner). Click it.
    Log in with your serato.com account.
    Click on “activate my product” and it will let you select a controller.
    Obviously click on the Mixtrack Quad.
    If you have purchased additional expansion packs (like F/X) click on “Activate all expansions” and it will activate anything you purchased.
    Click OK and your done.

    Everything should work nicely from that point on.
    If it does not I would open a ticket with your serato.com account on the serato website.

    in reply to: Sampler choices #2347441
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    No worries Mark, we know the furstration. We went through similar transitions (just a few years earlier).
    Take me I had a full Pioneer 2000 setup… sold it all.

    Also thanks Vintage for the confidence in my skills 🙂 I have become somewhat of a badass with the Slicer and Roller, still have to master Flip… hehe

    And yes one of the most hard thing is let go of past memories. Actually one of the last things I sold were my Technics 🙂 (and I still have one sitting in the basement in a case, just for memories sake hehe)

    But these experiences are also why we are so passionate in our opinion of digital. It is totally liberating and the amount of creative freedom I have today I am hitting my head why I did not change sooner… This is also why sometimes passion takes over for us moderators hehe

    in reply to: Dedicated laptop #2347431
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    OK first question iPad vs Laptop:
    While the iPad has come a long way, it is still not there for use beyond home parties. Eventually it will get there I am sure, but it is just not there yet.

    Dedicated Laptop or not?
    Yes if you can afford it. If it is not dedicated, definitely go with a Mac.

    Mac vs Windows
    Well you can say that Mac are top level Intel Notebooks, however as Vintage pointed out there are no USB drivers and the CoreAudio Systems allows audio latency to be much lower than on any other system. They are built for audio so to say.
    Also in harsh environments (hot outdoor weddings in direct sunlight, smoke in clubs,…) I had never a breakdown of my Macbooks. And my oldest DJ Macbook that still plays is from 2008! I am just now retiring it.

    Now you can achieve a similar level with Windows Notebooks but:
    You should have it a dedicated laptop or at least a dual boot and one OS only for DJing.
    You still have to invest a lot in hardware.
    You have to have a good understanding of the Windows Audio driver system and what drivers to install AND IN WHAT ORDER!!!
    Now I have seen people pull that off with Windows Laptops but usually those laptops were high end machines, a friend is using an Alienware and another a HP Elite Folio, both cost in that config well beyond 2000 bucks, with the Alienware being much more expensive than my current Macbook.

    On the other hand I have seen people DJing perfectly fine with an entry level 13” Macbook Air they also use for office work…

    in reply to: Native Instruments Maschine MK2 question #2347421
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    No problem, you are welcome 🙂

    in reply to: Test #2346121
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Actually that has been done before and worked perfectly for the poster… I mean even I listened to the mix.

    in reply to: Rekordbox – Library #2346111
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Actually FW 800 is pretty fast, I would say it is more like a lot of tracks…

    in reply to: New Great Gear for 2016, but who can afford it? #2346101
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well that is easy:

    RANE 64 $3,398.00 – special use only, do not need
    RANE MP2014 $4,324.00 – more special use only, do not need
    PIONEER DJM 900NEXUS $2,829.00 – totally outdated the day it came out, do not need
    900SRT $3,259.00 – I have an excellent Serato setup and this unit can actually do less – do not need
    CDJ 900NEXUS $1,979.00 – outdated for quite some time – do not need
    CDJ 2000NEXUS 2,829.00 – outdated for quite some time – do not need
    CDJ 2000NXS2 $3,129.00 – outdated for quite some time, but in a new package and with bigger screens – do not need
    XONE DB2 $1,999.00 – special need only, do not have that need -> do not need
    DB4 $3,399.00. – special need only, do not have that need -> do not need

    Wow it is cool how much money I just saved 🙂

    Now if you would have said MCX 8000 yes that maybe gets my money… but it is fairly cheap compared to the above. So usually I get between 1000-1400 for a gig the MCX is one nights pay… that should work out.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 5,632 total)