Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I wanna learn how to mix!!! #2371161
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Hey and welcome! Have fun in the forums and at the courses.

    in reply to: Youtube Ripping (File Sharing) The Don'ts Of DJ'ing #2370591
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Indeed and in the processing phase youtube will not only limit you to max. of 192 it also uses a lot of compression filters so the volume of the sound files does not pop.
    Listen to a music video on youtube’s official service (vevo) and the original CD or good quality (iTunes) sound file side by side and you will immediately hear the difference.
    It is optimized for streaming and constant volume, that is sacrificing a lot.

    But even if it were good quality, it would still be illegal and in the end not-practical.

    The most important skill of a DJ as we always point out is: What to play next?
    To perfectly master this skill, not only do you need experience, but your music collection needs to be small and “crap free”.
    Yes in the beginning of your carreer you might feel you have to few tunes to play out. But very quickly will you come to a point where you have too much (and yes 800+ is too much). And you actually have to work hard, to not get too much.

    For example I have come to the point where I buy tops 2-3 tunes per month (most for 99ct off iTunes or Beatporst 1.29). So that makes 3-5 bucks a month (less than Netflix) and only if something really really great comes out I divert from this path. I often have 20-30 tunes in my wishlist, I then re-listen and only take the “perfect” 3.
    And for every tune I buy I “retire” an old tune.
    Granted this is a little different for mobile, when I do weddings and stuff you may need more tunes and I have my “archive” external HD for that, but my main collection is always between 800-1000 tracks and I build my sets from that.

    in reply to: Confused about Traktor #2370011
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    You can pretty much discard the software if you do not have a 4track controller it is almost useless as it is not really supported anymore and the license actually is not transferring to other stuff.
    Sad thing is, buying supposedly cheap stuff off a “DJ” is mostly some pawn shop employee ripping you off for stuff he did not sell in the shop…

    in reply to: pioneer dij rx or ddi sx2? #2370001
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    They have pretty much the same essential features.
    The SX2 will work with Serato, Rekordbox DJ and Traktor.
    The RX will work with Rekordbox DJ.

    You choose…

    in reply to: Legalities of DJing #2369991
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Yes we mean buy the track/CD.
    The purchase of the track/CD gives you the legal access to the track.
    Depending on your country, the royalties payed to the artist are then collected by a governing agency that will usually have the venue owner/club owner/event manager/… pay an additional fee for you to play those legally purchased tracks live. If you present that agency with a playlist, they will then distribute the royalties to the artists you played via a formula that will give you a headache. If you do not give them a playlist, it will be given in another formula and distributed by artists usually played at such events (so most money will go to the inhertance of the Beatles and Micheal Jackson)

    in reply to: Traktor S2 Mk2 Repair Needed #2368411
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Go to native instruments webpage, get on their support site and they will list you a map with where you can get it repaired.

    in reply to: First DJ Set Live #2368401
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    1. Preparation:
    Prep a plan B playlist that has killer songs that usually should fill the dancefloor no matter what

    2. forget key mixing
    Sounds to me you did worry too much to mix in key, when another song would have propably been better that maybe was not in key. There are tons of techniques where not mixing in key still sounds good. I play thousands of people and keymix only 50% of the time tops.

    3. forget the gear
    Take a controller and gear with you and forget the outdates CDJs they have. Being forced to play on outdated 2ks would be a no-go for me.
    I have even gone down the route that I decline offers from clubs that still think CDJs are relevant and want me to play on them. 99% already agree to that. (Actually had only 1 smaller club that did not go along in 2 years now)

    4. focus more on the crowd and interact
    I know on some booths it is hard, but you should focus and even make eyecontact and interact with people. Even when it is time to go home, if you kill them with their favorite song and a nod or wave they will stay for another drink and the management will acknowledge your skill to keep people drinking.

    in reply to: Youtube Ripping (File Sharing) The Don'ts Of DJ'ing #2368391
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    It takes 10 tunes to learn DJing, it takes 50 tunes to play a killer set… all well within range to purchase legally.

    in reply to: Big Band Music / Swing #2368381
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well personally I love the classics like Glen Miller, … however playing it out live is very rare, maybe some weddings where some of the older guests really dig it or some “in the mood” for the retro feel, but apart from that very very rare.

    in reply to: Old hand digital DJ wants to start all over again! #2368361
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Nice good luck!

    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    All I can say is: 1.8.2 -> no issues, extremely stable.
    Beta 1.9: has some crashes here and there and sound issues. It is beta software and not meant to be used live.

    My guess is 1.9 final will be there in under 3 months. It was about the same with previous Serato beta programs.

    in reply to: El Capitan UPDATE! #2367841
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I use El Capitan with Serato 1.8.2 now and TM8, no problems.

    in reply to: Beginner DJ with Decisions to Make #2367831
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I had a DVS setup for years and as Titan stated the upkeep is costly. I had between 60-100 bucks per month to keep the turntables in shape, needles, heads, mats, timecode vinyl,…

    in reply to: PA setup. Need Help #2367221
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Then tell us what speakers you have please.

    in reply to: Hi From vanuatu #2367211
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Hey and welcome!
    You have come to the right place, search the forums and our blog and also look out for our DJ courses.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 5,632 total)