Terry_42
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Terry_42
KeymasterBefore you buy anything read this:
https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2013/04/beginners-guide-to-pa-systems-part-1-basics/Terry_42
KeymasterHowdy Howdy!
Terry_42
KeymasterCurrently the downgrade back to the SSL firmware is not supported by Rane as far as we are informed.
So if you patch your firmware you are pretty much stuck with the new firmware.
I heard some people made it, but some others had huge problems, so I would advise against it.On the other hand, with what Serato DJ currently offers, they have pretty much any feature that I loved about SSL integrated in SDJ, so honestly I see no reason why one would not want to upgrade to SDJ.
Terry_42
KeymasterThe only controller that does allow connection of 2 laptops (not iPad and laptop) is the DDJ-SZ and RZ (basically the same controller) and they are only used with Serato or Rekordbox DJ. There are mappings for Traktor but I would advise against it.
As for Traktor the only way would be to have 2 controllers, no matter if portable or not.
March 24, 2016 at 8:41 am in reply to: Recommended specs for a laptop running serato on windows? #2374071Terry_42
KeymasterHP ProBooks are actually not Business Laptops, only the EliteBooks are. The ProBooks have the same crappy insides as the lowend lines in a little more eye appealing package.
Also since Lenovo took over they call anything ThinkPad there are huge differences in the lines of thinkpads and the Carbon Line costs you 2000+.
I am sorry to say in the end you always get what you pay for, PC manufacturers are just better to make you think it is the same thing as the CPU will actually be the same.But as I said, hugley depends on your work environment.
But I can also asure you there is few things more tragic then when I witness a young boy called up from a pool party to a nice big club to do evening warmup when suddenly his laptop dies, there is this awkward silence until the clubs backup kicks in and that nice boy that displayed talent is then fired, crying like a girl “asking why” and getting the hard answer “well that was plain unprofessional”. With the hardest thing being that when that line falls, every other clubmanager in town will know.
That is why I am so in on this topic, as it can literally cost you years of your career when maybe you could earn a thousand a night easy if you got that gig (and that laptop will pay for itself in no time).March 23, 2016 at 8:55 am in reply to: Recommended specs for a laptop running serato on windows? #2373871Terry_42
KeymasterAlso: Cheap PC hardware (400 dollar notebooks from target etc.) will fail you in real DJ conditions.
I have seen it time and time again and it is not a Windows problem, it is the problem of cheap hardware.
You often work in an environment where the computer is in harsh conditions: Smoke, Haze, Heat from Lamps and or Sun, high moisture due to hundreds of people sweating on a small dancefloor, more smoke, fog machines,…
All factors that will iterally kill your hardware and sadly I have seen so many beginner/warmup sets, even in bigger clubs where “they give a chance to a newcomer” and the newcomer fails badly due to failing hardware (overheating, having power issues,…).So in the end it is not the Operating System why many DJs use Macs, it is also because the hardware is really good and stable. I just replaced my MacBook from 2008! and I played literally thousands of gigs with it in front of thousands of people.
Now of course you can have a similary good Windows Hardware if you for example buy into good hardware like HP EliteBooks, Alienware etc. however those are usually the same price if not more than a MacBook Air 13”.
For example the EliteBook Folio 1040 that I use to write this now to you, did cost about 1900 bucks.That is why many DJs even opt to buy a used Mac for 600-800 bucks, to be on the safe side.
March 23, 2016 at 8:46 am in reply to: What method MIK "Energy" tag or BPM is better to choose Warmup or Main Song. #2373861Terry_42
KeymasterYour ears, your passion for music and knowing the tunes you play are the main deciding factors.
Terry_42
KeymasterGald Vintage could help 🙂
Yes it happens sometimes that the BPM is doubled or halfed if the grid is not set. It will display correctly when in the deck as the grid is already ranged out.Terry_42
KeymasterHey and welcome! Do not fear we are here to help you on your way.
Check out our new courses and if any questions arise, feel free to ask.Terry_42
KeymasterHey there, no worries a lot of us went through it and we are still fine. I mean Vintage is slightly damaged but I think he was before 😛
Terry_42
KeymasterMixxx is using very generic sound drivers that are not directly compatible with Macs CoreAudio. Hence you will always get sound latency and weird issues with this kind of freeware.
That is why no pro DJ will use it and they use one of the big DJ software brands, which your controller is compatible with (Serato, Traktor, VDJ, Cross).Terry_42
KeymasterSomething someone does not pay for is not worth anything anyways. Those running events usually fetch quite a penny for the management, so you are pretty much being used as it is. So keep it simple and cheap…
Terry_42
KeymasterYes anything past 2010 with an i5 will do.
For Traktor I also recommend 8 GB RAM.
An SSD is a bonus if you can afford it, get it.But apart from that all modells work, from the Macbook Air to the Pros. There it all depends how much screen real estate you want. I went with a 15” Pro, as I like my screen to be big and the weight of the 15” is still OK in a Backpack where my controller is the most heavy thing…
Terry_42
KeymasterHmm never had any crossfader issues, but yes it is a more simple crossfader compared to the innofader of course.
Terry_42
KeymasterHey and welcome!
Yes you need to use the Gravatar system.
Our servers are hosted in Europe for the most part, but we do have good connections. Some server lag might most of the time rather be on the receivers end. Nevertheless our site does use a lot of picture content etc. and while they are optimized for web view it is slower than a no pictures text sites or sites where you have everything in your cache because the pictures never change… -
AuthorPosts