Terry_42
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Terry_42
KeymasterTrain, get your skills up, play gigs. Love what you do and commit to it.
As long as you are breathing and loving music, it is never too late.
Terry_42
KeymasterI use iTunes Match. I would not call the 256k AAC bad.
Terry_42
KeymasterNot the only way, some people say they can beatmatch on a twitch, but since I prefer the more traditional workflow not having jogs seems to me limiting my options.
Terry_42
KeymasterWell both options have their risk so baggage insurance is never a bad thing. However I have a special Visa Card that covers that for me, but I think their may be also options at the airport for insurance.
Terry_42
KeymasterWell after 2 days I have to say Mountain Lion is a bit faster than Lion, but it has a slightly bigger memory footprint, which does not bother me since I have 4gigs in my Laptops and 16 in my iMac and it is still considerably less memory hungry than windows.
Overall you do not feel the speed increase immensely but everything feels a bit more “snappy”, if you know what I mean.
I could not see any increase in the CPU need of the software packages, not that I trust the CPU meters that much… I also have “iStat Menus” installed and it also says there is no diff in CPU need.Terry_42
KeymasterMixtrack Pro is still very very good and works nicely with DJ Intro.
I agree the Beatmix looks nice and looks to have bigger and nicer jogs than the mixtrack, but it is more targeted towards VDJ.
The Mixage is also pretty nice and I think Phil did a lot of his course lectures with one and I know some mobile DJs who still use the Mixage for their mobile gigs, so it cannot be bad.
I never tried the Behringer, but Behringer has a pretty bad reputation, they seem to make up for it lately, but until you really tested the unit you cannot know if it is one of their “new and improved quality” or “old and really bad quality” products. So I would never order anything from Behringer without having it in my hands first.Terry_42
KeymasterWell a sound card or a controller with built in sound card is never a bad thing and you can split your signal for the headphones more easily.
If you are really on a tight budget maybe go for a lowend controller like a mixtrack pro or even the new hercules Phil just tested, is quite OK for starters and hooked up to your Logitechs should be a start before you can safe up for better stuff.Terry_42
KeymasterWell I did not fly with my controller yet, but I flew A LOT with turntables, CDJs and mixers all in flight cases. I never had a single problem with the gear itself and I was especially worried about the turntables (I did really nicely secure them). The only incidents I had was scratches and dangs in the flight cases, but never the gear itself.
Also your controller has already taken a plane or ship from china to you in a carboard box with stuffing 🙂 so I guess it should survive the “normal” handling at an airport… however I heard of incidents of severe drops and a band I traveled with once lost a guitar as the neck cracked… so insurance is not a bad thing.Terry_42
KeymasterHi and welcome to the forums. I think you are not doing bad on your mixes, feel free to post more of them in our mix section where they surely get a wider audience.
I did not know that Finnland does not have a club scene, well you are famous for rock and metal bands, but I thought you had at least a club scene following…Terry_42
KeymasterAh I got the Panasonics from Amazon for 30 euros… do not get me wrong they are good for listening and you are right that they have the frequency range, but they have by no means a flat response and color tone quite a bit, especially in the lows and have a pretty wide spot in the mid where they are nowhere near flat. This is absolutely no problem for Djing or manual beatmatching etc. as they are also pretty loud and have good bass.
I did test them against extremely good shure in ears that are truely flat and you can easily hear the difference there…But also consider I am really picky and sometimes things bother me, that are no problem for others. So always take my points about sound quality, response etc. also from that viewpoint…
And about THX:
The THX system is not a recording technology, and it does not specify a sound recording format: all sound formats, whether digital (Dolby Digital, SDDS) or analog (Dolby Stereo,Ultra-Stereo), can be “shown in THX.” THX is mainly a quality assurance system. THX-certified theaters provide a high-quality, predictable playback environment to ensure that any film soundtrack mixed in THX will sound as near as possible to the intentions of the mixing engineer.
So this is actually a good thing, just as added info.Terry_42
KeymasterAh OK, that is an issue with CoreAudio and the new USB 3.0 ports on the new MacBooks, since my 2 MacBooks are 1 and 4 years old I do not have USB 3 and hence no problem hehe
July 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm in reply to: Ableton Video Tutorials: 5 new ones & Live complextro Set video #1008762Terry_42
KeymasterVery nice, thanks for sharing.
Terry_42
KeymasterYou typically have a stereo mini-TRS out on a PC. You can buy a simple “splitter cable” that will split that stereo out into 2 mono-TRS outs. Then you need to adjust the sound routing in your DJ software accordingly and you can go from there.
Please check also out Phil’s free videos on youtube, where explains that in detail, just search for “digitaldjtips dj free dj course”.Terry_42
KeymasterBeta driver? You do not need a driver to use Traktor on a mac. You just plug in your controller and fire up Traktor.
Terry_42
KeymasterLook for used active Mackies with 15” bass. They get the job done really nicely and hold up.
-
AuthorPosts