Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,236 through 5,250 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Speaker/Monitor issues #1008758
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    The thing is there are 2 things to consider:
    1. Practicing DJing. You should have decent gear for that, but even your Logitech will suffice for that.
    2. Producing….
    For production you need a monitor speaker.
    Why?
    Monitors should have 2 very distinct qualities that put them apart from HiFi or PA speakers:
    a. A flat response – typically the better the monitor the flatter the response, which basically means it will in no way alter the sound and you will actually hear exactly what you put in them. This is crucial for making a good production as you have to hear your EQing, filtering, compression levels etc. etc. etc.
    b. They have a good frequency range (this is also true for real good HiFi or PA speakers, but they do not have as flat response than monitors). So basically you would want to get at least 40Hz – 20kHz, real good Monitors will go far beyond that and for lowers you need a subwoofer. But again not just any sub, but one that will not color the other frequencies (aka monitor sub).

    This is why often monitors in a production studio are one of the most expensive things to buy.

    Now what does that mean for your current options:
    Option 2 is probably the worst as the amplifier probably has no flat response either, so you get 2 times the tone coloring.

    Option 3:
    Usually Logitech speakers are not “that” bad, but are no monitors either. Especially their midrange is typically not flat and the sub does color sound quite a bit. If you hook that up to a good sound source (aka a good controller) you can probably get away with that for a while, but do not expect them to be phenomenal and your productions will most likely be more compressed, as the logitechs usually have not the dynamic range to hear that truly.

    Option 1: Now while the headphone description says “studio”, these are low cost headphones for like 30 bucks and the membrane is not the best to begin with. While they have good bass room and some nice “oomph” they lack the higher frequency response and mid range of really good studio headphones (why good studio headphones cost more than speakers).

    So non of your current options might be ideal you can still make the best of it, by trying to tune the Logitechs to your sound.
    Hook your controller up to the logitechs (you probably need an adapter) and start with a flat EQ. Now get a basic synth and drum loop together and tune the sounds as much as you can with the EQ that it sounds OK, if you can alter the subwoofer level separate on your logis then go for less sub. Check that against a song that you really now how it should sound and EQ accordingly. Repeat several times and mark your EQ settings.
    This will get you some sort of baseline. It is still no studio setup and you should invest in real monitors for production, but you can get away with tuning at least while you practice.

    I hope this gives you an idea on monitoring and there are no dumb question, this is actually a tricky one that many do not get right even when they have monitors…

    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Sounds like a bumpy road, I have to say you are a really brave fellow! Keep it coming, good stories!

    in reply to: Greetings from germany =) #1008754
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Servus and welcome to the forums!
    Nice road you have been on, I would love to hear how you get along, so feel free also to post some “blog” style posts.

    in reply to: Moombah Mix! #1008733
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I like the mix as it is refreshingly different, but I have also a few points that I would say is very slight critique as it is overall really fun to listen to:
    1. is the overall production quality. this might be an issue of how soundcloud processed your file or how you did the mastering/recording of the mix. but the overall sound is very compressed and lacks a bit of dynamic, especially in the parts where you put in the dubstebby wobbles etc. I miss the energy increase.
    2. I do not know if this is because of issue 1, but especially some of the F/X and wobblies lack dynamic range and acoustic range. Like they work in a cutoff spectrum. If you can broaden the impact a bit you can prolly get much better “yeah baby” feeling in the listeners.
    A good example for me is Skrillex “Bangarang” – even though he uses some wobbles that might come over “cheesy” he get’s away with it, as he added a full spectrum of support frequency response around those. Like if you had a spectrum analyzer the whole spectrum goes wild and even though you cannot differentiate some sounds you get a more energy feeling inside.

    But again, critique on a high level, really lovely and refreshingly different mix!

    in reply to: Sound problem in traktor pro2 #1008732
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    good find! I would not have expected that the full screen mode is the problem, but I jot that down in my “known issues” list for future reference.
    Also keep us updated how the Macbook is working out for you when you get it.

    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    the thing you should always keep in mind though: it is not the tools that make you a pro, it is experience and passion for what you do.

    in reply to: Your Mixtape tips #1008730
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    What I try to do when I create mixtapes, especially for demos that I send to clubs (nowadays on nice USB sticks) is that I do not try to showoff too much, but I think about a theme, create a small noted down storyboard and even with a 10min mix try to deliver at least a basic storyline or rather “moodline” with my songselection. I learned that actually from DJing weddings, as it works extremely well there but translates really well into deep genres, lounge, belearic, etc.

    in reply to: Where do you post your mixes online? #1008729
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I am actually not that much of a fan of having my mixes online. I used to put my setlist online after an even so guests did know what I am spinning, but since soundhog or shazam even that is unnecessary.
    I put some colaboration experiments on soundcloud now and then, but those are mostly hugely experimental and not finished brushed stuff.

    in reply to: why cant i find vci 380 on amazon or ebay? #1008719
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    I asked at my shop and they said: they are simply sold out at the moment as they were going really well and they are ramping up production. at least this shop had 0 returns so far.

    in reply to: Post a pic of your set-up! #1008718
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    nice oldschool setup. most people nowadays place the turntables in battle style position, but I like the oldschool standard position too.

    in reply to: Using digital decks without "Sync" #1008717
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    about accuracy a friend of mine always said: do not underestimate the power of good nudging skills 🙂

    in reply to: Met DJ Shiftee last night! #1008698
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    sounds like a good time! thanks for sharing.

    in reply to: KRK Rokit 5 – Monitor Stands #24631
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well since most monitor stands are like 100 bucks for a plastic thingie I improvised:
    Ikea small width shelf board like 10 bucks
    Ikea 12cm shelf feet again 10 bucks
    Screw feet on shelf 2 shelf boards put them on your desk = nearly ear level
    Add 2 acoustic foam isolation pads for monitor speakers (12 bucks) and they are ear level and isolated….

    Hope that helps, even though it is hugely improvised, but a cheap solution.

    in reply to: Stand out in a DJ Competition #1008678
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    well said michael, maybe also combine some old school mixing techniques with new controllerism techniques.

    in reply to: CDJ Set up – need some help #1008662
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    If I ever were to get into CDJs again the 3900s would be very tempting, much more than any Pioneer (even though the 2ks have nice colored waveforms).

Viewing 15 posts - 5,236 through 5,250 (of 5,632 total)