Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,191 through 5,205 (of 5,632 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Headphone, My Arch Enemy #1009050
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well the redwaves are still the “entry level” headphones from numark. Many parts are made from plastic and sadly so is the locking thing in the earcup. So the adapter in the earcup is molded in plastic, if that has somehow cracked internally… that might cause your problem. I have the Zomo HD-1200 which look very similar and while I love them to death for their sound, I expect up to a year lifetime not more.

    I also have a pair of Reloop RHP-20s and now these rock. Everything that moves or connects is aluminium. The connector on the earcup is a mini-XLR metal construction and these headphones seem to take a beating no matter what I throw at them. Still they are cheaper than the high-end Pioneers, A&H or Sennheiser. So “bang for buck” wise I do not know any better high-end DJ headphones.
    You can see Phil’s review of them here:
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/09/review-video-reloop-rhp-20-pro-dj-headphone/

    in reply to: Denon Advice #1009049
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well the Denons are really nice controllers, but they have some downsides in my opinion:
    Their layout is really cramped and they are both quite dated now. The jogs are also not in the league of most current controllers. Do not get me wrong they still have awesome build quality and excellent sound, but if you have chosen VDJ as your software, there are newer controllers, sometimes for less money. Maybe look through some of our more recent reviews on the frontpage just to get a broader view. If you still want to go Denon, then by all means do so.

    in reply to: Complete noob needs advice!! #1009048
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    It does not matter what you use in clubs.
    Most clubs here (europe) do no longer have turntables, they have CDJs and a mixer, but you can hook up a MIDI controller and your laptop also.
    I am not a fan of the ION system and I would not use it to play a gig.
    My advise would be: Get a low budget midi controller and you possibly have a laptop already. Subscribe to our course “how to digital DJ fast” that can be found here: http://djtips.co/fast-info/
    First make up your mind what software you want to use, then choose a controller.
    Our free controller guide can help you there:
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/12/dj-midi-controllers-buyers-guide-2012/

    There is a new low budget controller that is not in the guide the Reloop Beatmix, which is very nice if you chose to go for Virtual DJ. Many others chose the Mixtrack Pro from Numark, which kind of is the “most bang for the buck” low priced controller. (And you can easily play your first gig with this equipment)

    You can learn anything you need to know on such a controller and the software. If you then want to go for CDJs you will have no problem at all and you can even switch over to a DVS (digital vinyl system) very easy. So this should give you a nice start.

    in reply to: Can a DJ under 21 get a gig? #1009047
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    As for PA: there should be more than enough PA rental services, just include the rental fee in your fee and try to collaborate with one of the renting companies. You might in the end even get referral gigs from them.

    in reply to: Hey Im a newbz and I already have questions…. #1009045
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    No problem. Ask whatever is on your mind. I saw the other thread and synthet1c is the local VDJ guru, so his advise is prolly the best around.

    in reply to: Whats Up All! #1009043
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Hey hey from Pheonix!
    Very nice. I did some collaborations with artists from Phoenix area, I am currently doing a remix for MC Dome and have done a video with Weecks Productions from Phoenix 🙂
    I might be in Phoenix again around christmas, maybe we can have a small DJ get together with you guys then 😉

    in reply to: Complete noob needs advice!! #1009042
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Hi Sam and welcome to the forums!

    As Vinny already said, most CDJs will not beatmatch for you and though most digital controllers do have a sync button, there is a very good video of DJ Iceman around here somewhere, where he shows that sync is not everything 🙂
    It does not depend on the tool you use, it is the music and your genuine passion and love for it, that make a good DJ.

    in reply to: Hercules DJ 4mx? #1009006
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    We have a lot of reviews here on the site, maybe just check out some more, like the beatmix, mixtrack, etc etc so you get some more ideas.

    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    The thing is I think as D-Jam and G-Bee also described: You can get to a certain level as a DJ alone. You can even earn really huge loads of money either as a good mobile DJ, play in big clubs, even in celebrity spots if you know how to “sneak your way into the in-crowd”.
    But if you want to go past this, you need to produce. I noticed this in my Industrial days in the late 90s. I was playing good underground clubs and some small festival as “warm up DJ” but when I did some remixes of like bands and a singer made a “combo” act with me at a show… then I got in-calls around the clock. Sadly I was too stupid at the time to monetize on that more and my tastes changed ….

    So I think if you want to break past a certain level of DJing you have to have something going for you. I does not necessarily have to be producing, but most seem to chose this path. As D-Jam said you can also go for getting a celebrity girlfriend, land at a radio-station with a wide audience (here in Austria you would need to become an “Ö3 DJ”), look funny, DJ while ironing on the MT Everest for youtube or whatever gets you noticed…

    in reply to: Ear Fatigue-No Breaks In Pop Songs #1009001
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well I followed the changes in music myself quite a bit, but almost 90% of my production work has been with underground and independent musicians, bands and labels, who do their own thing anyways. So more insight on the music being commoditized would be helpful for me to understand more about why Pop / Commercial-EDM is becoming so “break free” and iconized.

    I mean in the Eurodance 90s we had acts that were “hated” by the underground like “DJ Bobo”. But I got to meet the guy once then, he was very humble, totally cool guy and he actually had a theme for all his albums (except the first one) with a stage show to go with, huge choreography etc. but still he was trying new things, he had breaks, passages and even un-dancable tracks on his albums. Yes he had also the usual dance hit for the single on each album, but some things were underrated by the haters.
    Several of todays acts now go into really 100% me all the time mode for a whole album. Some songs I even like the melody or basic tune (even some FloRida and Pitbull tunes), but they destroy it by “machine gunning” the song to death. Hell even Skrillex has breaks in his songs… but they don’t.
    Is it really the impatience of the people, that they cannot even enjoy a whole song? Do they expect that people anyways listen only to 2 songs per album and that is it? Is this probably why I get the feeling when I go to our cool Opera house in town to see an Opera that I think 90% of the people are only there to “be seen and to see who is there” and actually feel relief during the break? (Yes I know wrong forum, but it fits and my music taste is diverse… I can go from industrial to vivaldi in 5 songs when I have an evening of music for myself hehe)

    in reply to: Previewing in Headphones without a Sound Card #1008982
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Thanks for the input mate, I did not know it was not working, since I always use Traktor with my Controller… When I have time I try to confirm if it is working I just upgraded my Traktor to 2.5.1 and need to give it a testrun anyways.

    in reply to: Previewing in Headphones without a Sound Card #1008980
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well last I checked was Phil’s Article, for Traktor Pro it was this setting:

    I hope NI did not remove that routing option? If they did please let me know, so I can make a note in my knowledgebase for reference.

    in reply to: Ear Fatigue-No Breaks In Pop Songs #1008974
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    D-Jam it would be really cool from your point of view, as someone who has been into music for a longer time and followed the changes, to elaborate these thoughts a little more. Possibly in its own article? (Or maybe you did and I did not find it hehe)

    in reply to: Finding a Mentor #1008971
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well you can develop many different ways, a mentor, while certainly a good thing, is not the end of all wisdom.
    You can upload mixes to soundcloud or mixcloud and try to make DJ friends online.
    We are all friends here in this forum, so feel free to post mixes and questions here.
    Take the initiative and make some parties of your own that other DJs want to guest at.
    Make some online party or ask around for internet radio stations.
    Befriend DJs on Facebook that play/mix your style of music and try to online mix with them…
    … many more possibilities, too many to list them all. Just broaden your search pattern and try different things.

    in reply to: Numark N4 or Numark Mixdeck? #1008970
    Terry_42
    Keymaster

    Well the mixdeck is really designed for using CDs also.
    If you are absolutely sure you will not use CDs then the N4 is the cheaper option and a solid one.
    In the same price range you also have the Terminal Mix 4 from Reloop which is all metal construction compared to the N4 and has better jogs, also comes with VDJ LE and Serato Intro.
    Hope that helps you a bit 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 5,191 through 5,205 (of 5,632 total)