Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New England Greetins' #2011194
    Tim Hackett
    Participant

    Hi ironically spelled Chelsea. I went to my first RAVE when I was 18. And like you, never turned back. I was wrapped up in the community and the music. It was in a dark abandoned warehouse where there were few lights, and towers of speakers. People hugged and smiled, and most importantly- danced. To DJ’s. That mixed their very own records. That they bought at a record shop. Weird huh? We called it digging in the crates, an entire day spent foraging for just one or two good tunes. These days I have to trudge through 1,000 pieces of total crap before finding just one gem. Why? Because of something you said- “EDM”. It’s not a music scene, it’s a marketing scheme. Don’t get me wrong, music is always changing and young people lead the way. I knew it back in ’92 in that warehouse. I only beg that people just finding their feet in this music today look past the festivus, the mega shows sponsored by coke or pepsi. Don’t be “that friend” for your friends, be it for something that comes unhinged inside of yourself when you hear the music. I’ve toured the country for twenty years (mostly in the 90’s with my record flight case, ugh) and have played with the greats. And they’ll all say the same thing: If I never played another gig, at least I can sit at home play my tunes.

    in reply to: A gear dilema??? Sort of. I love my toys!!! #1020397
    Tim Hackett
    Participant

    Awww, I’m so glad you guys made up. And thank you for all of your helpful reasoning. I do appreciate it. I guess I’ve just had so much damn fun with that mixer, I wanted to see if I could keep it in the loop. Those Kontrol units look delicious, and quite fun.

    I guess at this point, 20+ years into it, I’m fascinated with pushing every boundary I can. I love the fact that I’ve freed up so much time in the actual mixing of tracks in the digital age, now I want to take the creation up a notch. Thank you both.

    in reply to: A gear dilema??? Sort of. I love my toys!!! #1018574
    Tim Hackett
    Participant

    It’s more of a question of how can I maximize the gear in front of me while still have fun melding the old and the new. “Just get a real controller” kind of misses the point. PS- I can smell the condescension in your key strokes, neub.

     

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)