Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 6,046 through 6,060 (of 6,565 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Traktor Pro 2/Denon MC6000 #41641
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Coltrane09, post: 41790, member: 2800 wrote: So on the back of the MC6000 for Mix Mode there is an option for PC Mix v. Int Mix. When I switched to Int Mix everything was fine until I tried to use my Remix/Sample Decks for my DJ drops. The sample decks are set on Channels 1 and 4 on the controller and the controller didn’t respond. Switching everything back to PC Mix on the controller and internal mix for Traktor brought everything back online.

    I guess there is no way to use the sample decks on the controller using Int Mix?

    Ok let’s take them one at the time 😀

    The mix switch is that, it determines if you use the internal mixer in your software, in your case Traktor (and you set the Denon for PC MIX) or if you use external mixer in your software (and set your Denon to INT MIX). This does NOT have anything to do with the decks, just with the way audio is being sent.

    I don’t use the remix decks and always have cd-players/media players hooked up to channel 1 and 4 for backup.

    I have to go by memory here, but if instead of using the USB 1/2 and USB 3/4 matrix input on channel 2 and 3 (which is my standard two deck Traktor setting), but setting all of the matrix selectors to midi, you can control all 4 decks on their own faders and you’d use change deck button to switch between the decks. What I don’t remember clearly if this setup requires the use of Traktor internal mixer or if it functions with the external mixer setting as well. I can give it a try tomorrow or friday as I have some time to toy around with it.

    in reply to: How do you live without stacked waveforms… #41637
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    There are famous German people?

    in reply to: Denon sc2900 or pioneer cdj 900? #41636
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Another reason why I opted for the MC6000 over the S4 when I got my first “real” controller, It was also a standalone mixer 🙂

    in reply to: Denon sc2900 or pioneer cdj 900? #41635
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Terry_42, post: 41788, member: 1843 wrote: I do not count yet. My old Macbook from 2008 is beat up, has scratches all over, stickers all over, the keyboard is hardly readable and it has yet to disappoint or crash in a gig… Of course I have an iPod hooked up always as a fallback, but I have never used it (except for that Abba Megamix bathroom break at weedings when I do not want to set Autoplay in Serato…)

    LOL, I have had several breakdowns over the years, including a laptop cooler that stopped working in the middle of a set. Took all of 5 mins for the laptop to overheat, shut down and refuse service until it cooled down enough, upon restart it would crash in 5 mins again. I was soooo happy with my old trusty cd players and box of cds.

    Just that it hasn’t happened, doesn’t mean that it can’t or won’t. It is like driving a car. If you drive 5.000 kilometers a year on the highway, you may never experience a flat tire or one of those nice red lights that tells you to park it on the side of the road. The newer your car, the smaller the chance too.

    But if you drive 40.000 kilometers a year on all kinds of roads and conditions and not always in the newest cars, you WILL almost certainly, experience more than one flat and a few breakdowns.

    Even with the chances being a lot smaller with newer and well maintained cars, no guarantee you won’t drive away from the garage and hit a flat. So, every car still comes with a spare tire (my preferred option, like having two cd players for backup), a bring-me-home 80km an hour spare (the equivalent of a stand-by iPad with DJ software) or a foam repair spray (like having an iPod with one mix on it for backup).

    I cannot imagine playing a wedding and having to tell the bride and groom that hey, I’ll be playing a pre-recorded mix, because my gear is shot.

    Call me paranoid, but backup rules, 😀

    Greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: Denon sc2900 or pioneer cdj 900? #41632
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    It is hard to match the size and quality of the big jogs on the 2900 nor the feeling the full size mixers gives you (well me for that matter).

    I am not disagrreing with your points, but for me it offers such versatility that it was easily worth the money.

    Another less “concrete” point is that I charge my customers quite a bit for the gear. And showing up with the coffin with the 2900s and x1600 always triggers my customers wow-factor.

    Since I always brougth two cd-players with me anyway for backup and they needed upgrading, this was the next logical step for me.

    in reply to: Denon sc2900 or pioneer cdj 900? #41630
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Without having to use a laptop, I think the Denon kit has an ABSOLUTE advantage over the S2, namely thatbit can still play music without a laptop lol.

    in reply to: Traktor Pro 2/Denon MC6000 #41627
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Hi, the a-thru-b settings only have to do with the crossfader, for every channel fader you can choose if it becomes the a or b side of the x-fader or if it ignores it (thru).

    When you set external mix in traktor, but don’t set INTERNAL MIX on the Denon at the same time, it won’t work as it is supposed to.

    So, be sure to check that setting too.

    Good luck & greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: How do you live without stacked waveforms… #41624
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Terry_42, post: 41773, member: 1843 wrote: I use Serato… I love stacked waveforms and I do not care what only by marketing terms “most” use.
    If you check the actual scene in Europe for example (which is funny as NI is a german company) you see more Serato and VDJ DJs in the clubs. Only in the US it looks like Traktor is dominating (at least it was about 4 years ago, last time I was in the US I think).

    Even more puzzling that DENON sells it’s MC6000 controller that is both Traktor and VDJ native with Traktor in Europe and with VDJ in the US. And obviously without Serato support on either continent 🙂

    Greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: Denon sc2900 or pioneer cdj 900? #41623
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    WOHOOOO Terry, ouch!

    I beg to differ (agree to disagree?). I would say that Denon SC2900 vs CDJ-900 is a hands down victory for the Denon. 2900 vs 2000 is slightly more difficult until you throw in the ridiculous price difference in which case it is also a hands down victory for the 2900s. The ONLY drawback (but this is also true if you use one kind of software and want to switch) is that if you also play out on Pioneer gear, you would have to keep both an Engine and a Rekordbox library.

    The iPad feature for Denon’s Engine is something I really like. You can play without a laptop with just your tracks on a USB device and still have a nice 10″ (or 7″ for the iPad mini) touchscreen for all your library work instead of just the media player displays.

    I don’t know what brings Terry to his statement, he is uncharacteristically short and not motivating his answer as I am used to. I would say it depends greatly on the mixer you get. I have the X1600 which is a FULL 4-channel standalone matrix mixer (digital) with good digital FX engine built in, but also a FULL midi mixer. There is actually a mapping for 2x 2900 plus 1x 1600 for Traktor. You can have the best of both worlds, push one button and your entire channel strip suddenly controls something in Traktor, or the 4 banks of 4 rotary and 4 push button switches (you can map remix decks to them or regular decks, or library functions, anything you like).

    So, with that particular combo (and I have the set, so I know what I am talking about), you can do anything you like and more. You can even go DVS if you like. The X1600 is Traktor certified and the 2900s have built in timecode (no need for discs).

    New the price is just under 2400 euro for the set here (I paid even less because I got B-stock/showroom gear). I opted for a coffin which was another 250 euro, but you can go for single flightcases of course. A far cry from the 5.5k+ you’d spend on a 2000Nexus set.

    Be sure to read Phil’s reviews on the 2900s and the X1600 and the reviews on other DJ sites.

    Greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: Traktor Pro 2/Denon MC6000 #41622
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Coltrane09, post: 41778, member: 2800 wrote: Ok, so the MC6000 is set to PC, MAC. Traktor is set to “Internal Mixing”.

    Yeah they changed the buttons on the back with the later version. The one I have has a switch PC/Mac (which obviously needs to be set to the right kind of laptop you are using) the other switch is mixing mode (Int mix/PC mix).

    I have it set to Mac (as I am using a MacBook Pro) and Int Mix. The last is a bit confusing because (looking at it from the Denon MC6000 prospective) INTERNAL means MC6000 whereas what is called internal mixing in TRAKTOR is what corresponds with the PC MIX setting on the Denon.

    I always use the INT MIX on the Denon and EXTERNAL mixing on the TRAKTOR. Now what happens is that Traktor only sends your track outs to the channel faders on the Denon. Everything else is handled on the Denon.

    I really see no added value to having an MC6000 and running it as a midi mixer for the internal Traktor mixer. Besides if you don’t use the internal mixing feature on Traktor, it frees up processor capacity.

    Might wanna give those settings a try and see what it brings you.

    Greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: Why can't I vocal mix? #41611
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    People singing on top of each other is just about as rude as people talking through each other.

    Another more technical reason is that vocals happen roughly in the 2 to 4 KHz area. Engineers take lot’s of care to clean up that frequency band to bring out the vocals and not have them “drown” in the mix. Mixing in another set of vocals therefor usually almost doubles the energy in that frequency range, which throws off the total balance of each track individually and of the combined sound.

    So, listen to the old hacks around here … don’t mix vocals on vocals!

    Greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: Beat matching by ear #41610
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    excuses … excuses … excuses …

    ROFLMAO

    in reply to: two interesting conversations… #41598
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Yooo Atom,

    Is that including or excluding the PA end?

    Greetinx,
    C.

    in reply to: ?Loudspeaker Management System eg. dbx DriveRack PA+ #41592
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    Yeah, I don’t fanatically endorse stuff on here usually. Although it is no secret where my preferences lay, but where these speakers are concerned, I consider them the find of the decade for me at least.

    Again, they are just about as a-sexy as they come, but I couldn’t care less.

    I promise you don’t have to push the 18″s to get a loud enough boom and tight. None of the usual 18″ wobble. I turned them on at home and at less than full power had a few framed photo’s come down off the wall! And I live in a modern, concrete house :).

    I’ll do any size party, but if it goes beyond 250-300 people, I’ll just rent a big PA and have them deliver :). I’d be pushing it with the HD-set, but together with the SRM450s I’d be looking at 600+600+800+400+400= 2800W RMS. At 10W per person that sounds about right for high 200s. Mind you, 10W per person is for a nice bit of sound pressure level. You do NOT want to stand in front of the front stack all night in that case hahahaha. Probably in that scenario the low would start lacking a bit, so I’d scout for a 2nd 18″.

    I remember the days we took out 4!!! 18″ W-bins (big, heavy mothers), 4!!! 15″ Mid-cabinets, 2 BIG horndriven mid/mid-high cabinets and 2 high end cabinets with 4!!! drivers in each. Pffffff … Extra truck anyone?

    in reply to: Beat matching by ear #41589
    DJ Vintage
    Moderator

    I hope so, being all thumbs seems rather more useful in the bedroom than in a busy club with people looking on.

Viewing 15 posts - 6,046 through 6,060 (of 6,565 total)